Sunday, August 7, 2011

Making Baby Food

Yesterday morning while Jen and The Bean napped I prepared some baby food.  We've been making an effort to make most of his food since he started solids a few months ago.  It's easy to do and we like knowing exactly what he's getting.  That said, we've supplemented with jarred food along the way, especially when traveling.  We don't feel bad giving him the organic jarred stuff, but still prefer giving him food we've made.  

Here's are the steps I took: 

Wash the fruit.

Cut it up. 

Boil for a few minutes.   

Drain.

Puree using an immersion blender (my preference) or food processor. 

Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.

Once frozen I wrap each cube in plastic wrap and put them into a labeled and dated freezer bag.  I don't like using all the plastic, but I haven't been able to find a better solution where the food does not get freezer burn. Suggestions are welcome!

A few other notes:
-I did not cook the mango.  It was my first time making it and it just seemed weird to cook it.  
-The prunes do not need to be washed or cut.
-We peel all the fruit.  It's really easy to get the skin off of peaches by boiling them briefly and then plunging them into ice water.
-When draining, we reserve some of the water so that if the puree comes out thick, we can thin it out.
-It is really hard to get prunes out of the ice cube tray.  I think it has to do with their consistency.  I haven't found a good solution to this problem.  
-The Bean does eat things other than fruit!  This just happened to be what I was making yesterday. :)

EDIT
-I wanted to add that I was just reading an article on making baby food that says you should steam your fruits and veggies rather than boiling them as it preserves more of the nutrients.  We only have one steamer, so I'm not sure we'll do it on a consistent basis, but it's still good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment