Monday, July 16, 2012

*Navalgazing* Reflections at Eighteen Weeks (+2) Pregnant

The good news this week is that my headaches seem to have have subsided.  Maybe it was just the heat last week.  Maybe I needed to drink more water.  I don't know, but I'm glad they have let up.
My pregnancy sickness also seems to be almost entirely gone.  I can't eat as much as I once did and I'm finding that I'm getting some indigestion after dinner, but it's a far cry from the constant nausea I was feeling before. 

It's likely that this is at least partially due to the hotter weather, but I have noticed that my veins are bulging out quite a bit (arms/hands and feet).  My feet have also been getting a bit swollen in the evenings, especially if I've been doing a lot of walking.  I'm trying to make sure I put them up and rub out my legs and feet. 

I've been feeling some discomfort on the sides of my stomach just in from my hip bones.  My guess is that it's just the muscles stretching.  I can also feel some pressure on the underside of my stomach (there's an underside of my stomach!) when I'm out walking longer distances.  It's not the most comfortable, but I think it's important for me to keep active.

Sleep is becoming increasingly difficult.  It feels like I'm often up from about 4am onwards just tossing and turning in bed.  It's been a bit of a challenge to break the habit of sleeping on my stomach, but that's just not possible anymore.  I've been wedging a second pillow under my stomach, which makes things slightly more comfortable.  I can't imagine what I'll feel like in another 18 weeks. 

Later this afternoon I have a midwife appointment.  They said there's not much to discuss at this one, so I imagine it will be rather brief.  Next week we have the ultrasound where we shoudl be able to find out the baby's sex.  I'm excited to know! 

Finally, last night I could really feel the baby moving around so I had Jen put her hand on my stomach and she felt it too!  So cool!  (It also happened to be our 6th wedding anniversary.) 

Photo update later today or tomorrow...

5 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! So excited that you can both feel the baby moving now.

    Sounds like you're doing well. Glad you're feeling better.

    For sleeping, Kim used a body pillow that we bought at Wal-Mart or something. She loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how are we at the half-way point already!?

    hope the appt went well this afternoon; im excitedto hear about the scan next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary and glad things are going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same hip bone problems and underside of the belly pain. My doc sent me to physical therapy to do some exercises to stretch them out. It helped a lot. Its so exciting that you can feel the baby moving now, its an awesome thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you going to tell us? I feel that your blog is letting me post a comment (which it rarely does) just so I can ask if you're having a boy or a girl!!! (Also, happy anniversary!)

    ReplyDelete