Sunday, September 11, 2011

Eight Months Old!

Today The Bean is eight months old!



It feels like so much has happened in the past month.  Looking back at our seven month update, I keep thinking, "That was only a month ago?!"

-The Bean has a tooth!  After months of teething, it finally popped through about a week ago.  It's the bottom right front tooth.  It's the most adorable tooth I have ever seen.  That said, it is still kind of hard to see unless The Bean is eating or yawning.  I'll try to get a picture, but I think it might be hard to.  His bottom left tooth is very close to coming through now.  I expect it will be here by the end of the week.

-More and more of the 3-6 month clothes are getting packed up and more and more of the 6-12 month stuff is starting to fit.  We had SO many tiny clothes, I'm glad he got to wear them for a while, at the same time, I love being able to put him into new outfits.  He's got some really cute stuff for the fall and winter.  (Wool sweaters!  Wool hats!  Yay for wooly baby goodness!)

-While still a good eater, The Bean is definitely starting to show some preferences in terms of the food he is eating.  Meat is not so much of a favourite, but fruits and sweet veggies are a big hit.  He's recently tried broccoli, cauliflower, kiwi, melon, parsnip and pumpkin.  We've also started blending some foods together and giving him foods that have some herbs and spices. 

-I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but his sleep habits have gotten so much better.  He's now going down between 5:30 and 6:30pm most evenings, sleeping until 3:00 or 4:00am and then getting up for the day between 6:00 and 7:00am.  I was heartbroken my first day back to work when he didn't wake up until I was walking out the door.  It's really, really hard being away from him most of his waking hours.  Thankfully Jen is the best mom and wife ever and sends me a photo of him practically every day. 

-Oh, did I mention that we had to move the crib down?  About a week after he started sleeping in his own room he learned to pull himself up.  I practically had a heart attack when we walked in there after his nap time and he was looking up at us smiling.  I think we may move it down to the lowest level soon because I'm still a little anxious when I see him peering up over the side at us.

-He is a champion crawler now.  He really moves!  Sometimes he gets going a little too fast still and will take a header into the floor, as evidenced in my "Bumps and Bruises" post.  I think he's really enjoying his new-found mobility.  The cat, not so much. 

-His favourite toys the past month have been household objects.  Mostly things from the kitchen.  Jen put together a basket for him that includes a vegetable brush, a pasta measurer, a tea ball, tupperware, the lid to a juice bottle, and some other stuff.  He seems to think these things are way more interesting that the beautiful wooden toys we've purchased for him.  Flashy light-up make-noise toys are also a big hit, but we have limited quantities of them. 

-He still isn't showing too many signs of stranger anxiety.  My best friend was visiting from out of town for a few weeks and spent a lot of time with us.  He LOVED her.  Maybe he just knows good folk when he meets them.  Come back soon A!  (I'd post a photo of them together, but I know she'd kill me.) 

-He definitely knows who we are.  Maybe it's just a coincidence, but a few weeks ago I asked him where Mom was, and he very obviously looked around for Jen and smiled when he saw her.  I was shocked.  He also seems to say, "Ma Ma Ma Ma" for me and "Mom Mom Mom" for Jen.   His other word is, "Mmmm" which he says when he likes what he's eating.  He makes other sounds too, although  at this point they seem meaningless.

It was so wonderful being able to spend time at home this summer with Jen and The Bean.  I loved being around to see all of the growth and development he's going through.  It all happens so quickly! 

1 comment:

  1. He really is the champion crawler! I couldn't believe how fast he was when we were in the park the other day!

    ReplyDelete