Saturday, December 6, 2014

Comparing Kids

Sprout is 18 days away from her second birthday.  This is exactly how old The Bean was on the day she was born.  This "milestone" has been on my mind for quite a while now.  What would it be like if we were bring another baby home now?  (For the record: There will be no more babies.) How have the past two years gone by so quickly?  And how is our baby girl possibly the same age as her big brother was when she was born.  She is our baby.  He was so big.

The Bean (with Grandma and Grandpa) meeting Sprout for the first time.
Looking back, he really wasn't so big.  I suppose when comparing him to a newborn he was, but he really was just a little guy still.  Maybe because we have him now to compare her to, but Sprout just seems younger than he was at this same age.  Looking back he was doing a lot of the same things that she does now.  Hitting similar milestones.  It just felt so different.

I'm an identical twin.  I've always been sensitive to sibling comparisons.  Still, I find it nearly impossible not to compare our two.  I mean right from the get go we compared them in terms of their size.  (The Bean's 5lbs 10oz to Sprout's 9lbs.)  We compared their sleep.  We compared their eating patterns.  How do you not?  The Bean is our frame of reference.

That's not to say we compare one as "better" and one as "worse"  (though the Bean was a better sleeper ;) ) but we do compare.

I think that for all their differences we're fortunate that our kids are both loving and kind and affectionate and interactive and smart and active and funny and silly.  Similar, yet both so full of their very own unique personalities.  It is such a privilege to be witness to who they are and how they've grown.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh I can 100% relate. It's hard not to compare our girls, but I try not to focus on it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where has the time gone oh my? I'm facing the same lightning speed moments as we approach Spencer's Birthday, and the impending birth of Deb's baby.

    Comparing is hard not to do, even with other kids not your own. I can only imagine how we will be comparing Spencer and next mini. We all try not to, but I think it is impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We try not to compare....but yes, we do. I also go with the not better or worse, just different approach. One thing is for sure the same, both of your kiddos are ADORABLE and BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete