I feel like I am long overdue on a real update here. The end of the summer has been a bit crazy. All the usual summer activity, but also trying to get to the bottom of The Bean's health issues, some welcome but exhausting days of work, etc. etc. It's a bit hard to even know where to begin. So, in lieu of a real post, here's a little list of some good things:
1) All The Bean's labs are done! We should have results early this coming week and hopefully be able to address whatever it is that has been going on.
Not so good: He freaked out when going in for the second set of blood work. I think he was very worried about the pain. Fortunately the hospital staff though to distract him with an iPad. Genius. He calmed down and they were able to draw the blood without any additional distress. He was a bit concerned about the ultrasound the following week too, but was fine once it was happening.
2) I got work! Which means I made some money! In some ways it was nice to have a "break" from the everyday routine, but the job was exhausting. (Childcare on a reality television shoot.) I ended up having to cancel my last day on set because Sprout had a high fever and it wouldn't have been fair to anyone to have someone else watch her. She basically nursed and whined and slept the whole day. Poor bug. She still isn't 100%, though she is getting there.
3) The potential for more work! One of the schools I subbed at last year has added me to their list again and already booked me for two days later this month. Another school, the school I interviewed at when I was newly pregnant with Sprout, also is adding me to their sub list. I am SO happy that I am going to have the opportunity to work there. It seems like an amazing school. Not to get ahead of myself, but I there is the smallest sliver of hope that this could some day translate into a full-time position at there, though at this point I'd take a full time position just about anywhere.
4) I have the best wife ever. She watched the kids solo for two very long days while I worked and then took the day off work to watch them for a third day when our babysitter wasn't available. It certainly wasn't convenient for her, but she was so understanding about it. Also, she cooks and cleans and gives really good massages and reads the kids books using funny voices.
5) It's almost fall. To quote Lola, who one of The Bean's current favourite storybook characters, fall is "my favourite and my best." Crisp air. Colourful leaves. Mug after mug of warm tea. Yes: favourite and best.
6) I've been crocheting a little bit. and reading a little bit. I still need to get away from browsing the internet during my downtime. It's really is such a waste of time. But yay for crochet and books.
7) Ani DiFranco has a new album coming out. 'Nuf said.
8) Friends getting married. Friends having babies. Friends who are happy and enjoying life. It makes me happy too.
9) Baking! Yum. Found a new recipe, which I seem to enjoy more than anyone else, so likely won't be making it again any time soon. But also there are some over ripe bananas and a can of pumpkin puree just waiting to be made into breads.
10) A trip out to see family soon. A friend coming to visit soon. Looking forward to spending time with people we love who live too far away.
And on that note, I need to go get ready for #8, part 1. (A night out! Can you believe it?!)