Friday, August 16, 2013

Long Overdue

I don't know where to begin...

I've had a few different posts brewing in my head for a while, I've even gone so far as drafting some of them (one of them a few times!) but things don't seem to be coming together as I want them to be and finding time to spend 1) thinking and 2) recording those thoughts seems harder and harder to come by.  

The summer has been good.  Busy.  I've been feeling pretty tired out, but I think that's to be expected.  
I think we're finally getting the reflux issues with Sprout sorted out.  The Prevacid has been wonderful, and this week I took her to the chiropractor for an adjustment to see if that will help too.  (I don't mind the medication, if it's necessary, but if we can resolve the issue another way, I think it's worth trying.)  Sleep was going downhill in that she was waking frequently in the night to nurse but only eating for a few minutes before falling back asleep.  As a result, I was even more exhausted than usual, so the past week or so I've been trying to rock her and put her back down when she wakes up.  She still nurses a few times overnight, but seems to be doing longer stretches of sleep in between again, which is good.  She's moving around and being social and even starting to eat a little bit, so basically doing all the great baby things she ought to be doing at this point.  

The Bean seems to be growing up so quickly.  His language and communication skills are booming.  He's such a chatterbox!  He's also been really exerting his will lately.  (I think that's the PC way of putting it.)  It's been a challenge.  Especially for Jen, who ends up doing the majority of his evening routine with him.  The big boy bed thing got derailed while we were in Pittsburgh and most nights he is choosing to sleep in his crib.  Jen and I have discussed this and agree that if he feels more secure in his crib, so be it.  Sprout is likely going to be in our room for at least another month or two, so there is not a great rush to get him into his bed.  

I got an interview for another job, but didn't get offered the position.  It started late August, so I would have been totally stressed out about leaving Sprout without having prepared her, so I guess that's a silver lining.  I'm anxious about not getting a job once my mat. leave is up.  I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that I am in the very least able to get work substituting at a few schools so that we can make ends meet without dipping into our savings.  I can't believe it's been over a year since I last taught.  I miss it.  
I have a zillion things on my to-do list.  I think I crossed off one this week: sending my dad his father's day card and a DVD of recent photos of the kids.  Shameful.  I know.  He's usually a pretty understanding guy, and I'm hoping the cute kid photos make up for the excessive lateness.  

This coming week I need to get some stuff sorted out with my driver's licence and the course I took back in the spring.  So not my idea of fun, but both have to get done.  

Tomorrow we leave for The Bean's daycare provider's cottage for the weekend.  I hope the weather is good and that we all get sleep (I'm a little anxious not knowing what the accommodations are like).  Speaking of which, I think it's time for me to call it a night...  


  1. look at her with that spoon!

  2. Aww, they sound awesome! :) Glad Sprout's eating issues have resolved themselves. Often they just need time. I hope you're able to find a great job that you love soon!

  3. Have fun at the cottage. The pictures are adorable. The Bean looks like a little gentleman.

  4. How did the cottage weekend go? I'm so so happy that the little lady's reflux seems to be under control.