- My mood had improved quite a bit over the past several weeks, but last weekend we went to a local fair and I ran into some (actually many) students that I used to teach. One was a girl that I had in my class last year. I was wearing Sprout and introducing her to the girl and her family and the girl asked me if I had left the school to have Sprout. I responded that I had left the school and had Sprout, but not left because I was having her. Honestly, I didn't give her question a whole lot of thought at the time, but as we were leaving and after we got home I kept thinking about the implications of her question. I realized that I don't know what sort of an explanation the kids got when they realized I wasn't at the school this year. I never did get to explain to them about my leaving. I fully realize that the reasons are much more significant to me than they are to the kids, but for over an entire year the heaviness of not being able to/having explained has sat with me. It makes me very, very sad to think about.
- On a related note, I have sent out a few more job applications but haven't heard anything back at this point. I'm anxious about what we will do if I do not find a teaching job for the fall. (Likely start subbing once my maternity leave is over.) I am quite sure that my anxiety surrounding this plays into how I've been feeling lately.
- In lighter news, it seems like the good weather might finally be here to stay. We enjoyed fiddleheads last week --such a spring treat! We've been going straight to the park after picking up The Bean and often playing there until dinnertime. This week there was even an unexpected (for us) ice cream party to celebrate Shavout. (We are not Jewish, but our neighbourhood has a lot of Hasidic Jewish people living in it.) The Bean
atedevoured his first ice cream cone. It was all over his nose/mouth/chin. So cute. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me or else you'd surely be subjected to at least a hundred photos of his messy ice cream face.
- This weekend is Victoria Day weekend in Canada so Monday is a holiday. Jen took today off so right now we are packing for a visit to Grandma and Grandpa's house. The Bean is SO excited. (Okay, so some of us are just blogging about packing, but as soon as I'm done I'm going to throw some clothes into the suitcase.)
- I have new books! Two of them! I have no idea when I will read them, but I am excited about the prospect of reading them nonetheless. Maybe The Bean will happily entertain himself on the six hour drive to Grandma and Grandpa's so I can read?
There is much more I could write about, but I really should get going. I'll try to check in again soon.